November 14, 2011

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan


Publisher: Hyperion Books CH
Publish Date: October 2011
Source: Bought/Own
Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his nam,e. His brain fuzz is lingerinf, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring any bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth.
Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obediant daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem--when the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now, because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wishes she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams.
Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery--although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially in front of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely--enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart.


Let me just get this out of the way right now: there's no way this will be a very articulate review as it's incredibly hard to convey the awesomeness that is Percy Jackson.

Can I just say that I'm officially in love with Percy Jackson? The Son of Neptune is the same deal as The Lost Hero with three different characters having their own chapters. I liked Frank and Hazel well enough, but I kept finding myself going "where's Percy? I want more Percy!" I just didn't connect with them as well as I have with past Percy characters.

If you love all the little bits of humor, learning about mythology, ans super crazy action the Percy Jackson books are known for, you won't be disappointed. And if you think you're not interested, I encourage you to read something by Rick Riordan to change your mind.

I was happy to see Tyson and Mrs. O'Leary, but I was kind of sad that a few of my other favorite characters didn't get to make an appearance (no, I'm not telling you who because that would spoil things). I also super loved that they were traveling through my home state. Yay for Washington and Amazon! Yeah, you'll have to read it to find out what that means too :P

The characters were great, the setting was awesome, there were some fantastic laugh-out-loud moments, but I did have a teeny tiny problem. Maybe I missed it somewhere along the lines, but they kept spending money and I don't remember where it came from. Like I said, small thing, but every time they bought something I thought about it.

Final Thoughts: I'm sorry I couldn't write a better review but all you really need to know is this: The Son of Neptune is seriously awesome!! If you haven't read The Lost Hero do that first, of course, but make sure you have this one on hand so you can get to it immediately!

Pages: 513
Series: Heroes of Olympus #2
Rating: 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I love Percy Jackson! I have read the first book of this in the series and loved it - I really want to read this!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]