February 27, 2012

Crossed by Ally Condie {Review}


Publisher: Button Juvenile
Publish Date: November 1, 2011
Source: Library
Rules are different outside the Society.Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky -- taken by the Society to his sure death -- only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices everything to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.


I really wanted to love Crossed, but it just didn’t happen that way. I still enjoyed it overall, but it certainly wasn’t my favorite. So, let’s do this thing list-style.

Dislikes:
1. Cassia and Ky’s relationship. Somehow it just didn’t seem real. It was almost like more of a learning experience than real love.
2. Even though most of the story was spent as a journey, it often felt like it wasn’t really going anywhere.
3. It seemed as if Cassia had taken a step back in her growth since Matched despite all the risks she took.
4. We didn’t actually learn that much more about the Society or the world’s past.

Likes:
1. Xander. Crossed completely solidified my stance as Team Xander! I really admired him for not completely giving up on Cassia and trying to win her affection in a respectable way.
2. Though it seemed Cassia had taken a step back in growth through most of the book, she took leaps and bounds just in the last chapter or so, in my opinion.
3. The duel narratives. Sometimes this bores me, but I really enjoyed hearing the story from both Cassia and Ky.

The Nutshell: Though I didn’t enjoy Crossed as much as Matched, I’ll still be finishing the series when the next one comes out. The duel narratives add a new dimension to the series and I found it quite enjoyable. Also, Team Xander. Just sayn’.

Pages: 367
Series: Matched #2
Rating: 3 stars

4 comments:

  1. Great review - nice and honest. I wasn't all that impressed with Matched, but I still want to read this one to see how things progress. I'm team Xander too! Sounds like he played a great part in this one.

    New to your blog,
    Stephanie
    Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review! I bought this book I while ago and started reading it but got a little bored after a chapter or so. I wasn't really much of a fan of Matched when I first read it so I don't know if I should go ahead and read Crossed... what do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review :) I really don't know which of the guys I like better, I think there are good and not-so-good aspects to both of them. I'm looking forward to book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! That's pretty much how I felt, only I'm really not on a "team" for this one.

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]