May 12, 2012

The Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith {Review}


Publisher: Poppy
Publish Date: January 2, 2012
Source: Library
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.


Can I pretty please just hug this book right now?

For reals, I adored The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. I love everything from the fact that Oliver is adorably British to the title being an inside joke from the story.

For some reason, I was under the impression that this whole story took place in an airport and on a plane. Don’t ask me where the idea came from since now that I think about it it makes no sense that 24 whole hours would be spent between those two places. I think it was probably for that reason that the airport and plane were my favorite parts of the story, but I still really enjoyed the other parts as well.

I also love that fact that everything that happens is a little unlikely, but the title of the story already tells you that. Yes, it’s unlikely that you’ll meet a super cute British guy at the airport and end up next to him on the same flight, but it’s still possible and that’s the important part.

Speaking of cute British guys…yeah, Oliver is basically awesome. He’s funny and cute and…British! Yay for accents ;] Plus, he has green eyes and I’ve always been a sucker for those.

If you’ve read a review about this book you’ve probably heard about how it’s not just a love story. How it’s also about Hadley’s relationship with her dad. And I’m sure, like me, you kept thinking “yeah, but what about the kissing?!?” But really, the kissing is awesome and important, but so is the father-daughter relationship. Though I’d never gone through a parents’ divorce I still felt I could relate to Hadley and her thoughts.

The Nutshell: There is kissing and it’s awesome. There is a confused teen girl and she’s easy to relate with. There’s a father-daughter that needs some working through and it’s interesting to see. There’s unbelievable chance meetings and it’s swoon-making and fantastic. If those things don’t convince you then don’t forget there’s a cute British guy ;]

Pages: 236
Series: No
Rating: Direct Hit

5 comments:

  1. I love this book! I was a bit worried it would be all insta-love-y (let's not talk about how that is definitely not a word), but their relationship was actually very believable.
    Also, Oliver is so cute and British and green-eyed and I love him. :)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my copy in the mail this week! FINALLY!! I've been wanting to read this book since I first saw it at Target in January! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this book had unexpected depth esp. with father/daughter storyline. It was great read for me and set me on a challenge to read all of Jennifer's book. If you haven't, you should too. I love her writing style and her characters so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally didn't realize she even had other books! I thought this was her debut, so I'll definitely have to check them out.

      Delete
  4. I feel the need to hug this book all the time! This was a one sitting read for me. I loved Hadley and I loved Oliver, their story together and their seperate stories, were all so amazing! I'm so glad you liked it :0)

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]