September 1, 2012

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby {Review}


Publisher: Walker Childrens
Publish Date: February 28, 2012
Source: Library
Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she's called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn't mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she's sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett -- teen superstar and the only celebrity who's ever been kind to her -- at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo's dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned's in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.

I don’t actually have a lot to say about Shooting Stars, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. On the contrary, it was a fun read, it just simply wasn’t one of those Stand Out Reads, you know?

Let’s start off with the story. At first I was just kind of moseying along with the flow, not really invested, but still interested enough that I wanted to keep reading. Then there was this twist that kind of came out of nowhere, but raised the stakes enough that I was plenty more interested and really wanted to know how it turned out.

Then there were the characters. Jo wasn’t exactly likeable, but I didn’t really dislike her either. I understood both her quandaries about being a paparazzo (did you know there was a singular?) and her rationalization for it, but man, the girl could get some serious inner debates going. Sometimes I just wanted to be like “I think now would be a good chance to tell the truth, he seems like a pretty understanding guy,” but no, she had to waffle on about it for longer. Her indecision seemed a bit drawn out to me, but hey, I’m a terrible decision-maker, so who am I to judge?
Ned was pretty likeable, but nobody I was all swoony for since he didn’t have much of a personality for a majority of the book.

The Nutshell: Shooting Stars is a cute, quick read. If you want a warm-fuzzy romance then this is definitely something worth checking out. If you’re more into the deep contemporaries, then you probably want to go elsewhere.
 Pages: 272
Series: No
Rating: Near Miss

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]