September 15, 2011

Supernaturally by Kiersten White


Publisher: HarperTeen
Publish date: July 2011
Source: Library
Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.
But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself. 
So much for normal.


Oh, Evie, how I missed you. She has such an awesome voice. She's not afraid to be herself, that is, her vampire butt-kicking, caring self. I love that she'll just sit down and have conversations with vampires and trolls instead of running the other way and screaming or automatically pulling out Tasey. For all Evie's awesomeness, though, she is quite insecure. That's a perfectly good flaw for a sixteen-almost-seventeen-year-old though! She's not running around being moody like most paranormal girls, she's genuinely worried people won't/don't like her. Sometimes I wanted to shake her and say "you are seriously awesome!" but I completely understand.

White has created such a fantastically unique paranormal world. I love learning about all the paranormal creatures from this new point of view and it's quite funny when some of the things just aren't quite as magical as I (or Evie) thought. I found Supernaturally to be a bit darker than Paranormalcy, but it's not a bad thing. It actually works completely since Evie is growing up and learning things she didn't know before, so we are as well.

I was sad that Lend and Evie were having relationship problems, especially since that seems to be what happens in every second book with a relationship. That being said, I thought this one completely worked. The problems were understandable and didn't feel like they were just brought out of thin air. I hurt for both Lend and Evie in all their problems together, but I really felt for Lend knowing what everything looked like from his POV. They're such a cute and cuddly couple that I just wanted to reach in and give them both a hug when they were fighting.

Jack was quite the interesting character. He just kind of popped out of nowhere and then snuck up on me. I was torn most of the time. On the one hand, I felt I shouldn't like him because he was causing Evie and Lend problems, but on the other hand, he was quite likable.

Final thoughts: This is a great followup to Paranormalcy. White creates such a refreshing paranormal world with a lead girl harboring a personality far more sparkly than any other I've encountered. If you love paranormal romance, but could go for a little less "damsel in distress" vibe, this is definitely your book.


Pages: 336
Series: Paranormalcy #2 (of 3)
Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]