February 14, 2013

Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook {Review}


Publisher: Harper Teen
Publish Date: January 29, 2013
Source: Publisher for honest review
Pages: 272
Series: No
Rating: Hit
They're young. They're in love. They're on the run.
Zoe wants to save Will as much as Will wants to save Zoe. When Will turns eighteen, they decide to run away together. But they never expected their escape to be so fraught with danger...
When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can't run fast enough.
I really wish I hadn't seen any reviews for Nobody But Us before reading because I feel like they were all just sitting in the back of my mind poking at the story while I was reading. Still, I did end up enjoying it.

I did not, in fact, really like either Will or Zoe, but I could appreciate their characters. They were supposed to make bad choices and be caught up in each other. I was so torn while reading because on the one hand, I know what new love feels like and that Zoe and Will's was multiplied by their terrible home lives taking it to an even more obsessive level, but on the other hand, I just wanted to take them both aside and slap some sense into them. It wasn't even just the spiral of terrible choices; I wanted them to see the poisons in their relationship as well.

The setting was perfect. I couldn't imagine a better way for this downward spiral of a relationship to play out. Usually when you think 'road trip' happy, carefree thoughts come to mind. That's definitely not what Nobody But Us was about, yet I still loved it. I think the excitement of being on the run really adds something important.
The Nutshell: Nobody But Us isn't my usual read because I usually stick to the fluffy stuff, but I'm glad I gave it a chance since I ended up really enjoying it. If you're looking for a quick read about two teens running away from everything while clinging to each other then you should read Nobody But Us.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pic of the cat with the book! (It's one of the many reasons I love VeganYANerds blog so much.) I have a black cat, too, and love looking at other people's cute cats as well as taking tons of pics of my own! :-)

    I haven't seen too many reviews of this book, either. Characters are the most important part of a story for me, so I'm not quite sure if I'd like this if Will and Zoe aren't likeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister got halfway through this book before giving up on it, so I'm hesitant to start it. Especially since you didn't really like the characters. That makes me so nervous, and I feel like I'd have a hard time reading about them. But I don't know, I might end up picking this up at some point. I'm curious about the whole being-on-the-run aspect.

    (Oh by the way I've been sick for a week and now I must catch up and comment on ALL THE THINGS. You've been warned. :D)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]