March 11, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West {Review}

Publisher: Harper Teen
Publish Date: February 12, 2013
Source: Publisher for honest review
Goodreads
Pages: 352
Series: Pivot Point #1 (totally didn't think this was a series.)
Rating: Direct Hit
Knowing the outcome doesn't always make a choice easier.Addison Coleman's life is one big "What if?"As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It's the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie's parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with -- her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the "Norms," or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it's not.
In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school -- but she never wanted to be a quarterback's girlfriend. When Addie's father is asked to consult a murder in the Compound, she's unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she's willing to live through. . .and who she can't live without.
This books is just, uhm, wow. It's been a while since I've wanted something as intensely as I did in Pivot Point. I'm perfectly fine to go with the flow of a story, but when you have something to root for it definitely adds to the experience.

Since this is kind of a complicated book let's break it down. Also, it's my blog so I can do it for no reason anyway :P

Two Storyline Aspect
You'd think this would get a little confusing sometimes right? Well, yeah, it actually does sometimes. BUT, it's really not that bad since any confusion gets cleared up pretty fast as the two storylines are really different despite the fact that they contain a lot of the same characters.
At first I didn't really have a favorite. I was kind of leaning towards one, but wasn't particularly rooting for it. By the end, though, I'd not only changed my mind, but was rooting for it hardcore. And then the end happened and I'm still feeling conflicted (also confused. Can someone please explain it to me? Since I know it's a series now, that's unnecessary.)

Characters
Pivot Point has an great cast of characters.
Addie isn't exactly always likable, but it's not in an obnoxious way. I mean, she even admits she's whiny. Hey, if you can see your shortcomings then you're a step ahead of most paranormal girl leads. She's not all bad, though, she makes tough decisions when necessary and really cares about her friends.

All the side characters have full personalities and it's great. Addie's best friend never gets shoved to the side like so often happens and she isn't just comic relief. Laila (the BFF) is certainly funny, but that's not all she is. She's a pretty integral part of both storylines.
I loved Rowan. I know he was a little persistent, but it was kind of cute (in a slightly pathetic way.)

Romance
So get this, there's two guys, but there is NOT a love triangle. Since the two different guys are in separate futures, they don't even (really) know each other. Therefore, no love triangle just a love choice. And it's all Addie's since no one else knows about the futures she saw. [Sidenote: for those who have read it, the choice was totally unfair.]
The Nutshell: Pivot Point is an incredibly unique story with a great set of characters. If you, like me, see “paranormal” and immediately lose interest, don't fret. It's not your typical paranormal romance. Yes there's paranormal and yes there's romance, but there are no broody, dark guys or wimpy, needy girls. If you're looking for something original that will suck you in and give you something to root for then check out Pivot Point.


3 comments:

  1. I freaking loved this book so much! It's definitely one of my new favorites. The alternate stories were a little confusing at first but like you said it was pretty easy to figure them out. Also, the love choice was so not fair but I look forward to seeing where things go in the sequel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I loved Pivot Point too and I so agree with you. I didn't find it as much confusing but I was confused as to which boy was better and then my heart went out to Trevor in the end. Great review, Jasmine!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty excited to see this one getting such fantastic reviews! I can understand how the two story lines could definitely start off confusing, but I like that you switched and rotted--it sounds like a fun read. I'm going to wait and see what the rest of the series is like before I pick it up, but so far so good!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]