August 22, 2011

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Who is Jenna Fox? 
Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen? 
Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come question - questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?




I've heard some amazing things about this book, but I'm not going to lie, it didn't blow me away or anything. That's not to say it was bad either, it just wasn't one of the best books I've ever read. Okay, okay I'll stop being all weird and confusing and just get on with the review.

The format was definitely different and interesting. I enjoyed the new experience. Instead of solid, concrete chapters there were little breaks throughout chapter-like things. It made it feel even more like I was in Jenna's head going through this process of remembering with her. The process itself was great too. It took a little bit for me to get completely pulled in but I finally did and it made me feel for Jenna all the more.

Jenna was a really easy character to identify with. Not because it's likely that I would be in that situation in my lifetime but something about her just demanded attention. I found myself just wanting to root for her and tell off all the people who were making her life difficult. I enjoyed watching her journey of discovering herself as well.

My big gripe about this book was Ethan. Now there's nothing inherently wrong with him as a character but I do take issue with his and Jenna's relationship. It was barely in the story and didn't really seem of any importance to me. It seemed like this weird add-on that was only there to serve the purpose of acting as a catalyst. To make up for this unnecessary addition though, the ending was seriously awesome, in my opinion. Awesome doesn't even really seem like the right word...maybe pretty?

Final thoughts: This was a quick read that anyone could easily get into. Jenna is an easy character to connect with and makes the story all the more enjoyable. If you're looking for a quick mystery this is definitely a good option.


Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Publish Date: April 2008
Pages: 266
Series: Jenna Fox Chronicles #1
Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]