August 27, 2011

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner


Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publish Date: October 2010
Source: Library

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to. 
In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety...until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago. 
Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated -- and with it, order -- and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim...and meal. 
The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.  
Thomas can only wonder -- does he have the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?


These books are quickly becoming some of my very favorites. They're just so stinkin' awesome! I really think I could just go on and on about how awesome The Maze Runner Trilogy is turning out to be, but I suppose I should get down to the nitty-gritty details (no, not the spoilery kind.)

I'm pretty sure I have nothing bad to see about The Scorch Trials. There was so much action I wasn't bored for one minute. I found myself being torn between wanting to relish the story and wanting to flip pages as fast as I could. There was just the right amount of mystery that I continued wanting to discover the answers instead of becoming fed up with all the unanswered questions. And boy, are there questions. It starts with a few and then they just snowball from there, but luckily, answers are slowly given along the way. It leads quite nicely into the last book.

All the unexpected twists and turns were perfect. My mind kept being blown over and over. It was awesome. There was a tinge of horror to this one even more than the first, but it's a raw, real horror instead of paranormal or anything of the like. It was such a surprising aspect that only made me love it more. Each new horror just made me sympathize with Thomas and his friends moreso.

The writing is also very well done. I think the third-person POV makes it even more realistic and easier to feel what Thomas is going through. I think I went through the gauntlet of emotions just as much as him. Everything felt so realistic, I was turning around checking to make sure nasty monsters sent by WICKED weren't right behind me. Especially Cranks. You'll have to read it, I definitely don't want to ruin the full effect for anyone.

Final thoughts: This is a seriously fantastic follow-up book. I actually liked it better than The Maze Runner but only slightly. If you're in for a good action-filled book full of mystery with the added rarity of a main boy character definitely pick this up. I'm begging you, read these books! They're seriously amazing.



Pages: 360
Series: Maze Runner #2
Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]