August 13, 2011

One Night That Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt

Eliza is in full-blown panic. Her notebook has been stolen - the one that lists everything she wants but is afraid to go after. And the absolute worst person in the world has it: her ex-boyfriend, Cooper. 
Like it's not bad enough that Cooper was lying to Eliza for their entire relationship - now he and his friends are blackmailing her. They're giving her just one night to complete the most humiliating tasks on her list or they'll post her secrets online - including the ones that aren't just about her. 
Eliza's sure of only one thing: She isn't going down without a fight. Cooper may have what's left of her dignity, but she's not the only one with something to hide...




One Night That Changes Everything was exactly the type of read where you go "why can't my life be as cool as this?" And sure, Eliza has to do a whole bunch of stuff that's outside of her comfort zone but who doesn't want to run around all night with their best friends doing adventurous things? That was one of my favorite bits about this book. The whole limited time-frame thing is such an interesting concept. The whole book takes place within the time frame of 7:00 p.m. one night to about 7:00 a.m. the next morning. It makes everything feel a little more exciting.

One thing I really wasn't a fan of, sadly, was Eliza herself. I know Cooper hurt her, but my goodness, does she really have to be such an evil witch to him all the time? Her denial of her feelings also kind of drove me batty. It's one thing to want to take the high road and be all girl-powery about it, but she was taking it waaay too far. I did, however, rather like Copper and her best friends. Her friends were well-flawed which helped them to actually be a part of the story instead of just hanging out in the background as best friends usually tend to do.

I was a little disappointed in the writing. The dialogue felt a bit choppy and awkward at times. Other than that though, it was pretty okay. Nothing I'd rave about, but I wouldn't condemn it either.

Final thoughts: This is a really cute, quick read. Definitely pick it up if you're in the mood for a little late night adventuring.


Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publish Date: July 2010
Pages: 242
Series: No
Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]