March 23, 2012

My Current Obsession {Fullmetal Alchemist}

This has absolutely nothing to do with books, so if you aren't interested, you've now been warned.

I'm obsessed with television. There, I said it. I'm not even ashamed either. If I'm not reading or blogging, I'm likely watching tv. Sometimes I even do all three at once! Usually, though, all three are constantly warring for my attention. I just can't help it :P

Anyhow, since I have such an intense love for all things tv I figured, hey, why not share it here? For now, this will be a sporadic feature spotlighting whatever my newest obsession of the week is.

This week's obsession: 
Fullmetal Alchemist
Wikipedia description: Set in a fictional universe in which alchemy is one of the most advanced scientific techniques known to man, the story follows the brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric, who want to restore their bodies after a disastrous failed attempt to bring their mother back to life through alchemy.


So the other weekend my younger bro (he's 14) came to stay with Husband and I. He settled in, turned on Netflix and 5 minutes later he was watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Since it basically started out with a fight scene I just figured it was a boy show and I wouldn't really be interested. Plus, I didn't think I liked anime.

Then, I started slowly being sucked into the story and the world. We ended up staying up until 2am watching it. The next morning we figured out we were actually watching the sort-of spin-off so we started with the original Fullmetal Alchemist and ended up staying awake until 4am watching it. Needless to say, I was addicted.

The world-building in this show is just as fantastic as any of the best dystopian books you've ever read. Seriously. I love the alternate world in which alchemy is a thing. Plus, I really like that it was a science instead of being portrayed as some crazy magic or something.

The characters are also fantastic. Each one is so unique from Winry to Al to Ed. Seriously, I could sit here and list of pretty much every character in the entire show and have something great to say about each one. Even the bad guys! I won't do that to you guys, though :P I will say that I have a massive crush on Edward much to Husband's disapproval. Yes, I realize it's incredibly odd to be so attached to a 15-year-old anime character :P

Don't be turned off because it's a "cartoon". This story has depth, guys. I could be cracking up one minute and the next I'd be bawling my eyes out.

I finished the series, but I still have Brotherhood to watch and I believe there's a movie or two, so I'm not done yet! There are about a million more things I could say, but I don't want to make you read a novel on my random thoughts.

Can someone else pleeease watch this so I can gush over it with you? Pretty please?

1 comment:

  1. I always liked what I've seen of Fullmetal Alchemist, but I've never really gone out of my way to watch it either. I've seen enough to know the general premise, but I had to give my bf permission to watch SOMETHING without me (since most things I'm like 'nooooo...I want to watch that too, you have to wait till I'm home!'), and so he rocks most of the anime by himself.

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]