April 7, 2012

Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris {Review}


Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publish Date: July 12, 2011
Source: Library
Someone's been a very bad zombie.
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steroids are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe -- not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah...not even Kate! She's got to find an antidote -- before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town...and stay hormonally human. 


Bad Taste in Boys was so fun!

I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect going into this. I’d heard good things back when it was published, but it didn’t make its way onto my TBR for quite a while. I don’t quite remember what exactly pushed me over the edge, but I’m extremely thankful for whatever it was!

This was a really quick read. I would have finished it all in one night were it not for my pesky bedtime. It is only 201 pages, but that’s not the only reason it’s such a quick read. It really pulls you in and doesn’t let you go. I’m surprised I was even able to put it down last night!

I suppose you want to know why it was so unputdownable now, don’t you? First, I completely fell in love with Kate. She was geeky and proud, but she also had a feminine side she was proud of. She wasn’t totally extreme one way or the other either trying to hide her love of science or hide herself behind medical books. I really enjoyed that she was a strong, well-rounded character. Surprisingly, I found the side characters to be well-written as well. I say “surprisingly” because you would almost think the book was too short for that, but Harris handles it well.

The Nutshell: This is a zombie book even zombie haters can appreciate. There are a few flesh-eating scenes, yes, but it’s really not all that bad. I actually found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Bad Taste in Boys is a short, quick read that’ll both have you laughing and hanging off the edge of your seat. The characters and story are all executed fantastically and I highly recommend this book. I can’t wait to see what Harris has in store next!

Pages: 201
Series: Kate Grable #1
Rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. IT WAS PUBLISHED ON MY BIRTHDAY!! Also, this one looks really great. Especially after your review, I need to bump it up Mount TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds fun, Jasmine! I've seen it around but I wasn't sure what to make of it. But sometimes I really like the fun, quick reads. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]