April 23, 2012

Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb by MJA Ware {Review}


Publisher: self-published
Publish Date: September 5, 2011
Source: Author for honest review
When life gives you lemons, kill zombies -- turns out lemon juice neutralizes the undead.
After a failed attempt at running away, best friends Nathan and Misty return home expecting to face angry parents. Instead, they discover the military has destroyed the bridges out of their rural town and everyone has fled -- except a small horde of the living dead. The stress of flesh-eating zombies may be more than their already strained relationship can handle.
Even with the help of the town geek and lemonade powered Super-Soakers, there's not enough time to squeeze their way out of this sticky mess. Unless the trio eradicates the zombie infestation, while avoiding the deadly zombie snot, the military will blow the town, and them, to a pulp.
Their only shot is something with a little more punch. Something like the Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb. But even if their friendship survives, there's another problem: someone has to lure the undead into the trap.


This is terrible, I’m well aware, but I didn’t really expect to like Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb. I’m just kind of scared of self-published/little known works. I’ve admitted it, though, so I’d appreciate if you keep from lobbing tomatoes at me. I really am trying to get better about that and this book was a step in the right direction.

I’m not entirely sure what genre this book is being marketed as, but I’d assume it’s middle grade and due to character ages and the feel of the book. I think Super Zombie Mega Juice Bomb is a great zombie book middle grade readers. It’s not too violent while still getting across the horrors of an undead world.

Honestly, the two main characters got on my nerves a little, but not enough to make me want to stop reading or anything like that. They were both in that transition period of growing up from kids to teens and trying to discover who they are so I could understand what they were going through, but it was still annoying. I did really like Kali, though. He was smart, a little unsociable, but rather endearing.

The Nutshell: Though I found the characters to be a bit annoying and the plot predictable at times, I enjoyed the overall story. I liked the fact that this is a zombie story that can be enjoyed by younger readers without scaring their pants off too badly, while still giving the reader a taste of what a flesh-eating infested world would be like. I’m an advocate of reading middle grade, but I feel this is one MG that is actually probably better left to the ages it’s aimed at for full enjoyment.

Pages: 204
Series: No
Rating: Hit

1 comment:

  1. I'm also very wary with self-pubbed titles, though I'm glad you rated this one as a hit! I hate when the main characters get on my nerves, though. Sorry to hear that. But I'm very happy that you liked this book overall, Jasmine! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]