August 20, 2012

Eve by Anna Carey {Review}

Publisher: HarperTeen
Publish Date: October 4, 2011
Source: Contest/Own
Goodreads
Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose -- and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole lie, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and he heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
Eve really fell flat for me. I’d heard so many mixed reviews going in so I was pretty wary, but I tried not to let it color my view while I was reading. Whether they did or they didn’t, the fact is Eve didn’t end up being my favorite. I’ll still read the sequel, but it may take me a lot longer to get to it.

Let’s do this list-style so I’m not writing a lengthy negative review. Thos make me saddy.

Dislikes:
1. Characters: none of them really drew me in and made me care about them, so everything that happened just felt really passive to me.
2. The world: I didn’t dislike it, but again, it didn’t draw me in.
3. Eve: Not only did I not connect with her, but she kind of drove me nuts sometimes. She wasn’t really whiny and she was mindful of others – most of the time. There’s one part where she gets a whole mess of people in trouble and that made me royally pissed off because she was only thinking of herself when she did it.
4. The relationship: It just really wasn’t working for me. It felt a bit rushed, but not because she trusted him too quickly like a lot of other people said. For me, it just felt as if the undying “love” they felt for each other kind of came on a little quick.
The Nutshell: Though I’ll be reading the sequel, Eve was a slow read that never really grabbed my attention and just left me feeling luke-warm.

Pages: 318
Series: Eve #1
Rating: Miss

(Reviewed as a part of Dystopian August which you can find out more about here)

2 comments:

  1. That is a bummer, I read this one in one sitting. The beginning really drew me in with the twilight birth, but that probably has to do with me beginning to research birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up really enjoying this, but I totally see where you're coming from. It took a long time for me to like Eve. I though the sequel was a hundred times better, though. I really liked Eve and the relationship between her and Caleb in it.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]