August 6, 2012

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu {Review}


Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publish Date: August 7, 2012
Source: Netgalley for honest review
Goodreads
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.
When Zoe starts to malfunction (or "glitch"), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.
As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they're caught and deactivated, or worse.
Glitch went a little something like this for me:
[Beginning intro to world] “I can definitely dig this.”
[BAM, romance] “Wait, what?! That came out of nowhere. She’s only known him for a couple hours!”
[Middle of the story] “Well now I understand the superfast romance. Doesn’t mean I have to like it. Or this new guy. In fact, I want to punch New Guy in the nose. When is something super interesting going to happen again?”
[End] “Okay, I’ll admit that I didn’t see that coming. And I’m digging all the awesome action and Gift using and whatnot. Oh, I actually did see THAT coming.”

Bahaha. Okay, if you haven’t read Glitch then you probably won’t understand anything up there, but I had to explain my feelings in a way that would at least sort of make sense. I mean, the story was kind of iffy but I still really liked it. And since that doesn’t really make sense I thought a play by play might help :P Anyway, moving on now.

Let’s start with the romance. As you probably noticed, I mentioned two guys, but it’s not a love triangle. Yes, you heard me: it’s not a love triangle. It’s more of a…circle with a jealous dot outside of it. And I really did not like the stupid jealous dot. I don’t want to say his name since that’d be giving something away, but let’s just say I didn’t like him almost from the moment he was introduced.
I understand why the romance had to be introduced the way it was, but it still felt really awkward in the beginning. I ended up liking it, though.

As for the story itself, I liked the beginning and being introduced to the world of the controlling V-chip and drone-like people. We even got a little background of why the world was in its current state and what happened to the Old War.
The middle just felt kind of bland for me. Even though exciting stuff was happening and the story was developing at a pretty good pace I still wasn’t feeling it. I really can’t pinpoint what it was that made me feel a little bored while reading that portion.
The end, however, I quite liked. I really didn’t see the big ending twist coming at all. I liked seeing Zoe use her Gift and all the action was awesome. Nothing truly heart-pounding but still fun to read.
The Nutshell: Though some of Glitch just felt lukewarm to me I ended up liking it enough to continue being interested in the story. If you like a good dash of scifi with your dystopian then you should definitely check out Glitch. And don’t forget it’s not a love triangle ;]

Pages: 371
Series: Glitch #1
Rating: Near Miss

(Reviewed as part of Dystopian August which you can find out about here)

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. I totally agree with you about not liking you know who. I understood where he was coming from and why he was the way he was but I still liked Adrien way more! Great review =)

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]