July 25, 2011

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Every night, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come. 
When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting - before it destroys her future. 




I absolutely loved the premise for this book, it's such an original concept. The synopsis had me a bit confused, but surprisingly, the book actually cleared up the confusion quite well. I've heard that Forgotten can be confusing, but I honestly didn't see it. The book puts you inside London's head where this is an absolutely normal thing, so it felt normal to me as well.

Speaking of London, she wasn't what I was expecting. This was a good thing, though. Often, girls in these types of books (reality with a twist, if you will) like to pretend they're normal (other than whatever makes reality abnormal) while truly there's something that makes them different than you and me. This wasn't the case with London, though. I found her to be just as normal as normal as any old girl in high school if maybe a bit more mature. I enjoyed reading about her and trying to figure out what she may do next.

Sadly, Forgotten wasn't quite as fantastic as I'd hoped. The love interest kind of seemed to pop out of nowhere to me (page 10 is a little early for me) and though this was sort of explained, I still didn't feel it was a good enough explanation. I also found the ending to be a bit lackluster. I felt like I was left with questions unanswered and quite big questions at that. Overall, the writing was only okay as well. It wasn't bad and it got me through the story just fine, but that's all it did for me.

Final thoughts: Though the writing wasn't what it could have been, the original story makes up for that. It's definitely worth picking up.

Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publish Date: June 2011
Pages: 288
Series: No
Rating: 3.5

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds really original. Great review! I am a new follower, and I am loving your blog! :-)

    When you get the chance, please check out my blog. Thanks! :]
    http://bookhi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]