October 24, 2011

Flirt Club by Cathleen Daly

Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Publish Date: January 2011
Source: Library
When two self-professed middle school drama geeks -- Isabelle and Annie (a.k.a Cisco and The Bean) -- fail at their attempts in romance, they start Flirt Club, an after school support group for similarly afflicted friends who decide to take decisive with hilarious and touching results.

There were some things I liked and something I didn't like so much making this just an overall okay read. I really enjoyed the whole form of the book -- the notes, diary entries, Flirt Club documenting. All the notes totally reminded me of things I wrote when I was in middle school. I didn't really enjoy how some of the stuff just didn't really jive for me with their ages.

I loved the characters. They were so weird and crazy -- just like me in middle school. I loved that while they kind of thought it would be cool to be popular they still loved themselves and didn't want to change. I also loved the whole drama geek aspect of it all. I'm not one personally, but I enjoy reading about it quite a bit. It was also really fun to see how all the dynamics changed -- friends, relationships -- throughout the whole school year. 

Now for the not-so positive. Like I said, some things just didn't really seem right for the age group. Most of the kids were probably 13 or 14 but it seemed more like they were 16. It talked about the girls going grocery shopping, to the mall, and tons of other places, but it never mentioned parents and that just felt really odd. And there was second base going! I just kept thinking "yeah, I know that happens, but it just feels completely weird in this book."

Final Thoughts: It kind of dragged a bit in the middle, but overall it's a cute book. I'm sure most of you are capable of ignoring the odd, seemingly absent parents unlike me. This will totally take you back to middle school, especially if you were one of the geeky kids :]

Pages: 288
Series: No
Rating: 3.5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]