October 8, 2011

Recipe: Tacos with tofu "meat" & homemade salsa

I decided to start posting some vegetarian recipes because one of my passions besides books is cooking and adapting recipes to my veg lifestyle. I'm still trying to figure out if recipes will stick around as a regular feature so let me know what you guys think :]

I don't know about you, but I was getting a little tired of the only "meat" in my tacos being beans. Don't get me wrong, but tacos are just one of those things that need something meaty and this tofu really does the trick. It was a little messy, but who doesn't love a good messy taco every once in a while? It's really quick and easy too which is always nice since I find it can hard to do vegetarian in a timely manner sometimes.




Taco MeatRecipe from Apron Strings
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
16 ounces frozen and then thawed extra-firm tofu
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix first seven ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
Drain the water from the tofu. (Wrapping it in a kitchen towel and placing heavy but stable things on it is an easy, mostly hands-free method for this.) Unwrap tofu and crumble into small bits into mixing bowl. Toss with sauce in mixing bowl.
Spread oil on a 12 by 18 inch baking sheet. Sprinkle crumbled tofu on top of oil in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir tofu. Return to oven and cook for about 20 mor minutes, until tofu is crispy.
(I also added a bit of water and salt at the end to get the texture I wanted personally. And don't be afraid of the peanut butter, it all really works together.)
Then I put them together on corn tortillas and with olives, tomatoes, lettuce, tofu meat and the salsa. 

This is the salsa recipe I used can be found here (I swear by this stuff):
I urge you to be careful in adding more jalapeno if you think you want it spicier. It gets a little hotter after its chill out in the fridge







No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]