January 16, 2012

Frost by Wendy Delsol {Review}


Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publish Date: October 2011
Source: Library
After the drama of finding out that she's a Stork, a member of an ancient and mystical order of women, and that her boyfriend, Jack, is a descendent of the Winter People able to control the weather, Katla LeBlanc is delighted when all signs point to a busy and peaceful Christmas. That is, until the snowstorm Jack summons as a gift to Katla turns into the storm of the century, attracting Brigid, a gorgeous scientist who, in turn, attracts Jack. Between the school play, a bedridden pregnant mother's to-do lists, and keeping an eye on her aging grandfather, Katla doesn't have time to question Brigid's motives or deal with Jack's increasingly cold behavior. But Katla's suspicions mont when Jack joins Brigid on a research expedition to Greenland, and when the two of them go missing, it becomes clear that Katla is the only one who can save her beloved Jack from the Snow Queen who holds him prisoner.


I’m not quite sure how I feel about Frost. On the one hand, I enjoyed Katla’s growth as a character and the epic journey that occurred, but on the other hand, the story moved much too fast. At times, I felt as if some pages were missing or I somehow missed them because we’d seemingly jumped from one thing to another completely.

So first, the characters. Kat seemed to grow quite a bit since Stork. That’s not to say she didn’t show growth before, but this time it was just a little different. I can’t put my finger on exactly what the difference was, but this time I actually liked her. Her fashion sense wasn’t so much an obsession this time as it was just part of her personality.
Jack, I was not such a fan of this time. I know it was crucial to the plot (pardon the vagueness, but I’m trying not to spoil anything), but Jack was kind of a lameo with barely any personality.
Brigid was basically the perfect villain. Gotta love when an author can make you love to hate someone.

I super loved the journey in this one. It was epic and awesome. Lots of different landscapes and crazy new bits to the world’s mythology. What I didn’t love was how it seemed to be all over the place. Sometimes I honestly thought I’d skipped some pages or something because I was so lost. There could have definitely been a little more description at times and better transitions  to keep things on track.

Final Thoughts: Though Frost wasn’t a favorite read, I still really enjoyed it and will be awaiting the next book in the series. If you like your romance with a good dose of mythology and epic journeys then you should definitely give this series a chance.

Pages: 384
Series: Stork #2
Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]