January 23, 2012

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald {Review}


Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publish Date: January 24, 2012
Source: Publisher for honest review
Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly one-sided. The object of her obsession -- ahem, affection -- is her best friend, Garrett Delaney. For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to '80s indie rock -- all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder -- until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl! A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for a total Garrett detox!
Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including hunky chef, Josh), and a customized self-help guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, martifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.


This book was absolutely adorable and I loved it!

First, Sadie was a fantastic main character. She drove me nuts with her attitude and pining at the beginning, but we really get to see her grow into herself throughout the story. You think it’ll be really hard to relate to her at first since she’s all “black is the only coffee (according to Garrett) and I only read big, stuffy books” but you slowly start to realize there’s a lot more than that under the surface. I don’t know about you, but I can completely relate to wasting years of my life pining after guys when the relationship simply wasn’t happening or was most certainly doomed which made Sadie even more real to me.

I loved the coffee shop setting because, well, who doesn’t? There’s just something awesome about coffee shops. It was my dream to work at one as a teen. I doubt all of them are as fun as Totally Wired was, but I definitely would’ve loved Sadie’s job. The staff (also making up most of the side characters) were all pretty awesome.

I really enjoyed reading about Sadie trying to get over the guy rather than trying to get him. It was such a refreshing change of pace. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some romance, but this time it was way more fun reading about a girl discovering who she really was, making new friends, and becoming independent.

My one complaint would be the descriptions. It touched very little on what many of the characters looked like past hair color or state of dress which saddened me since my imagination isn’t always the best. The other thing was the description of the summer. That sounds weird, and maybe it’s just me, but I actually kept forgetting it was summer since it was constantly talking about the chill in the air or something. It was just odd.

Final Thoughts: Tired of the same old girl-meets-boy-gush, gush gush-happily ever after? Then this is definitely the book for you. Getting Over Garrett Delaney is a fun, cute contemporary definitely worth the read.

Pages: 336
Series: No
Rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked it, this was definitely a good contemp! I also really liked that she was trying to get over the boy, not trying to snag him. A nice change of pace in YA :0)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]