January 19, 2012

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst {Review}


Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Publish Date: September 13, 2011
Source: Library
Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire...fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil...until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.
Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.
The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends--especially the cute guy that makes her fangs ache--to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?


I am under no circumstances a vampire fan. After the Twilight craze, vampires held absolute no interest for me whatsoever. It all seemed like the same story: darkness, sorrow, brooding, killing. You know, that sort of thing. Well, Drink, Slay, Love was nothing like that. I absolutely adored this vampire tale.

First, there’s Pearl. She was all bad-a**, and continued to be even after she started growing real-life mushy feelings. She also has the whole sarcastic, witty humor thing going for her too, which is basically the whole package in an awesome female lead. Evan and his family were rather entertaining and they were a fantastic addition. I also loved how my feelings for Pearl’s Family kind of changed with Pearl’s own feelings. It made it all the more believable.

I really enjoyed the lore here. It was all traditional vampire stuff – don’t go out in daylight, hate religious things, holy water burns --  which it seems I don’t really see a lot of these days. I actually like a good traditional set of rules every once in a while. Especially when it means put the unique touches somewhere else. And let me tell you, unicorns definitely make for a unique touch.

My one problem? How is it that vampires can be born and yet still grow older while they are supposedly eternal and ageless? That bit was a little confusing.

Final Thoughts: If you, like me, have grown tired of the whole vampire thing, or think you’re just not really into it, you should certainly check this book out. I’m not saying it’ll convert you into a vampire lover or anything, but it’s worth the read simply on its own awesome merits. If you enjoy unique fantasy touches and kick-a** heroines, this book is definitely worth your time.

Pages: 385
Series: No
Rating: 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one but my library hasn't gotten it yet. I read another blogger's review of it and she tweeted the whole time she was reading it, and I was SO JEALOUS because she loved it so much!!! It really does seem like a lot of fun, particularly with the unicorn and the traditional lore. And you gave it 5 stars? That's pretty impressive. One of these days, I'm gonna get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad when my library doesn't have a book I'm dying to read. I really hope you can get your hands on it soon because it's the best vampire book I've ever read :]

      Delete
  2. I would definitely be interested in reading this novel, if only because it seems a bit different from most of the vampire novels I consumed last year. The cover looks absolutely pretty though, so I definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's be honest: it is easy for a vampire story to take itself too seriously. Drink, Slay, Love does not. It is light, fun, and hilarious. I have never read a vampire story quite like it. With the introduction of the were-unicorn (with all the powers you would expect a unicorn to have), it is unique.

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]