February 16, 2012

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood {Review}


Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publish Date: February 7, 2012
Source: ARC from contest
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship -- or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word...especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to her fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood -- not even from each other.


I fully expected not to like Born Wicked. In fact, I wasn’t even going to read it until I started seeing awesome reviews for it pop up all over the place. Now, I’m not normally so judgmental about a book. I’m usually pretty easily swayed, actually, but historical fiction is not usually my thing. It’s one of the two genres I kind of avoid like the plague.
Boy am I glad, I gave this one a try.

I love that it actually takes place in an alternate history where the Brotherhood is in charge. I love world-building, so I still got a taste of that which was nice.

I rather liked Cate, although she did get on my nerves sometimes. I know she had a lot of responsibility hanging over her head, but her indecisiveness kind of drove me nuts at times. Paul was…ugh. I did not like Paul. He could be nice sometimes, but overall he was full of himself and so, so annoying.
Then, there was Finn. Oh, Finn. I don’t usually fall easily for YA guys, but I am definitely head over heels for him. He has freckles, glasses, and unruly hair. All things I love. Plus, you know, he loves books. Seriously, read this for Finn if nothing else.

I loved the flow of the story too. I never really felt like I was in the dark, but new revelations kept popping up at the perfect time. Every time I learned something new it completely sucked me back into the story.

The Nutshell: I absolutely loved Born Wicked. If you’re afraid of historical fic, please don’t write this one off. The alternate history provides enough world-building that you won’t be bored (as I usually am). I’m really not sure what more I can say besides this is definitely worth the read. And Finn. You should definitely read it for Finn.

Pages: 326
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1
Rating: 5 stars

5 comments:

  1. Haha, maybe I just haven't talked to enough people about it, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who avoided historical fiction before! It's funny to me since I almost prefer books that are set historically. I'm glad you went out of your comfort zone and found something you liked though! I'm really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this one (AND WHY ARE YOU AFRAID OF HISTORICAL FICTION - IT ROCKS SOOO MUCH)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited to read this one! I'm picking up a copy tomorrow!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad you loved Born Wicked. Thanks for the awesome review. I'm definitely bumping this up my TBR pile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I better read this. Just for Finn :D I'm like you, i tend to avoid historical fiction, but I am interested in the witch hunts and this looks brilliant! I love the cover! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]