September 17, 2012

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green {Review}


Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Publish Date: September 21, 2006
Source: Bought/Own
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls names Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.
I’m not even sure where to start when it comes the An Abundance of Katherines. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t connect with it in quite the same way that I did Looking for Alaska. But, I don’t like to compare an author’s works unless they’re part of a series and this book is not part of a series so onto the regular review!

I really didn’t think I’d like Hassan or Colin when I started reading, but the two definitely grew on me. Colin is one sad guy. He’s always getting dumped which doesn’t do much for his already low self-esteem and his child prodigy status is one the decline. How does one cure all these problems? Road trip!
Except, it’s not really a road trip. At least, not in the typical YA book kind of way, but that doesn’t make it bad.

It’s amazing the adventures Colin and Hassan manage to have while staying in one place. You’d think they need the open road to find the best adventures, but Gutshot, Tennessee certainly throws that idea right in the toilet. I loved watching both Colin and Hassan make their own emotional journey’s right alongside the actual real-life adventures.
The Nutshell: This is a pretty terrible review, I know, but the thing you should take away from it is that An Abundance of Katherines is a book worth reading. There’s heartbreak, healing, kissing, hog hunting (where the hog does the hunting), graphing, fighting, and even a little soul searching (come on, I had to get a little cheesy).
 Pages: 227
Series: No
Rating: Hit

3 comments:

  1. Oh god the hog hunting scene almost made me die of laughter. :)
    Funny story, I read this book before I even realized who John Green was. I was like 11 or 12. Let's just say that I didn't understand a lot of the humor haha.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, now that you mention it, I don't think I ever really liked Colin. He was such a tool, and yet, I loved this book. It made me laugh so hard that I cried, and I loved the journey. I do still need to read Looking for Alaska, but I needed a long John Green break after TFiOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your
    It will help me a lot in my writing
    nhan dinh bong da
    kqbd

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]