September 22, 2012

The Invitation by Diane Hoh {Review}


Publisher: Scholastic Children's
Publish Date: August 20, 1993
Source: Netgalley for honest review
Five not-so-popular teens are invited to an annual party given by snooty Cass. Ushered into the mansion, they are soon part of a human scavenger hunt in which they are tied, bound, and hidden. Further victimization includes being heated in a sauna, cooled in a freezer, and nearly asphyxiated by a car's running motor.

When I came across The Invitation on Netgalley I had no idea it was so old (1993) or that it was a part of a series sort of like Fear Street by R.L. Stine (anyone else remember those?). It just sounded like a good, scary story that might get my heart racing. I’m said to say it didn’t do that for me at all. Really, the only thing I got out of it was a feeling of nostalgia since I spent almost an entire year reading R.L. Stine and similar books/authors.

First of all, the characters were all pretty annoying. Most of them could only think about themselves and wonder why nobody was trying to save them. I couldn’t help thinking “I understand that there’s no way out, but do you really have to sit there and have a pity party?” I honestly wouldn’t have been so annoyed if they were just sitting there freaking out but instead it was mostly “why haven’t my friends come to save me yet? Doesn’t anybody love me?”

Then there was the story itself. It was built up and up and up and when I finally figured out the mystery I couldn’t help thinking “really? That’s it?”

The Nutshell: Needless to say, The Invitation wasn’t a favorite of mine. If you’re looking for a quick, simple mystery then this might please you, but if you want something deeper, you’ll probably want to look elsewhere.
 Pages: 169
Series: Point Horror
Rating: Miss

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]