March 5, 2012

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi {Review}


Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Publish Date: September 21, 2012
Source: Library
Eva Nine is a curious and sensitive twelve-year-old who has existed in a subterranean home called Sanctuary, cared for by a robot named Muthr. Eva's great desire is to go aboveground, and her wish comes true, though not as she had imagined. On the surface, Eva goes in search of other humans -- she has never met one -- and soon meets both friend and foe.


This book is amazing.

Seriously, if a one sentence review were to exist, I’d definitely leave it at that for The Search for WondLa because nothing I could say about it would do it justice. Since I know I’d never be capable of an eloquent review for this one, we’re going with list format today.

Reasons why you should read this book:
1. There are illustrations! I know you thought you were all fancy after you moved onto books without pictures, but come on. You can admit that books with pictures are actually seriously awesome and the rest of us won’t condemn you for thinking so. Look, an illustration from the book:


2. Eva is one seriously fantastic heroine. At first she’s just like any other twelve-year-old who gets annoyed by her mother and wants to watch cartoons, but the journey that gets forced upon her makes her grow into a courageous and brave girl who’s still not without believable faults.

3. All the fascinating creatures. There are some seriously crazy creatures and plant-life in here and I relished learning more about each and every one.

4. Technology! I, for one, love reading about imagined future technology. For some reason I find the science of today rather boring usually, but I lap up every little crumb of knowledge about imaginary technology.

5. There’s never a boring moment. Action and surprises are around every turn and keep everything interesting. There’s definitely never a boring moment.

If my lameo reasons haven’t convinced you, then I hope a simple 5 star rating is the only other convincing you need. Also, if you’re afraid of middle grade, but are willing to give it a shot, this book will definitely convince you of the awesomeness that is middle grade. And if it doesn’t, well, you were never going to like it anyway :P

Pages: 357
Series: WondLa #1
Rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun read, thanks for sharing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love good illustrated books, and I'm loving the style I see here! Though that cover looks amazingly 80s for something just published two years ago. My library totally has it, and I'm planning on raiding the MG shelves next time I'm in, so this will be added to the stack!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]