November 21, 2011

Queen of the Dead by Stacey Kade


Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Publish Date: May 2011
Source: Library
The Ghost:
Okay, I admit it. I'm not perfect, no matter what you've heard. First off, I'm dead. Second, I got sent back from the Great Beyond. I mean, seriously, who is running things up there? Now I have to spend the summer after my senior year working--and on behalf of a bunch of whiny spirits, no less. But a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.
It's a good thing Will Killian is still around. Even though he drives me crazy, and he could seriously do with a tan--Hello! It's summer!--I'm glad he's here to help me. Correction: was here to help me. Now he's all distracted by this frizzy-haired girl who can--big deal--communicate with the dead, too. Whatever. I don't need Will. But there are some things--like saving my parents from a couple of horrible mistakes--that would be easier with his assistance. Still, I will get what I want...with or without him.
The Goth:
I'm still totally amazed that Alona Dare is my spirit guide and that it works. Yes, I've had a crush on her since sixth grade, but I also kind of hated her. And sure, she had to die before she'd talk to me--but I don't know, I kind of like having her around.
Things get confusing when I meet Mina, who's the first ghost-talker I've ever encountered (other than my dad). I always thought Alona and I were doing the right thing helping those other ghosts, but Mina has me thinking otherwise. Plus, she might know stuff about my dad that even my mom doesn't. But if there's one thing I should have learned by now, it's not to ignore Alona. That's never a good idea. 


Books in a series are always being compared to one another and it usually affects the rating. I do that too, don't get me wrong, but I almost don't think you can do that here. There's still ghosts and there's still Will, but Queen of the Dead is somehow different than the the previous book.

I'd say Queen of the Dead is not quite as light as The Ghost and the Goth was. It's uber dark or anything, but it's not completely humorous either. That being sad, I really don't want to base this books rating off of it's predecessor because they're different, but I really enjoyed both.

The characters are definitely my favorite part of the story. Alona can be mean, but she's also funny (though sometimes I don't think it's intended) and she really does have a heart. Will. Will, Will, Will. He's just so sweet and amazing. The way he cares about Alona just makes me want to shove her out of the way and make him care about me that way. There aren't so many random ghosts here as in the last book, but the few that did show up were fun.

Final Thoughts: Overall, Queen of the Dead was a fun, quick read. The romance is cute and way more realistic than most paranormal romances. I laughed, I smiled, I (almost) cried. Definitely pick this one up if you read the first (I'm SO excited for the next one!!!) and if you haven't read the first, pick that one up too. They're much lighter than your typical paranormal romance and I really enjoyed that.

Pages: 266
Series: The Ghost and the Goth #2
Rating: 4.5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the first book in the series (The Ghost and the Goth), so I was super excited when I found out there was going to be a sequel. The first book ends well as a standalone, but this second book relies enough on the events of the first that you shouldn't read the sequel until after you've read the first book.

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]