May 14, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer {Review}


Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publish Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Library
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless Lunar People watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysteruous past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.


So I’ve just finished Cinder and I’m left thinking “but…where’s the rest?” Don’t get me wrong, it had a nice ending, but I want MORE. And I’m a little confused as to whether we’ll ever get to read more about Cinder and Kai or if that’s the end of the road for them.

Going into it, I kind of figured I’d love it since 1) I really like scifi and 2)everyone’s been raving about it for ages. I kind of wish I’d had less expectations, but not because it tainted my love for Cinder or anything, just because I really wish my love for it could have been more of a surprise. Awesome books are pretty much the best surprises ever.

Okay, let’s talk about the actual book now. It is for reals amazing. The characters all have full personalities whether I they’re likable or not and the world is incredibly detailed. I never even found myself wanting for more backstory or anything of the sort.

I’d heard some people saying they couldn’t really see the Cinderella parallels, but they seemed pretty obvious to me. That’s not a complaint, though. I really loved the way the fairytale was integrated into the new story. Cinder didn’t feel any lesser because it was based off of a fairytale. Cinder was able to stand on its own two feet (or one regular and one cyborg foot) as a story and it does an absolutely fantastic job of being a fairytale spinoff. I know it’s hard to believe that scifi Cinderella works, but it definitely does.

The Nutshell: I know this is a terrible review and I’ll never be able to do Cinder justice, but believe me when I say that it’s a book worth your time. If you like scifi, fairytale spinnoffs, and strong lead firls this is definitely the book for you. I advise not waiting around any longer to read this one :]

Pages: 387
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Rating: Direct Hit

8 comments:

  1. I love this book! It's definitely one of my favorites from this year! I am SOOO excited for "Scarlet" to be released next year! And I heard Red Riding Hood is going to be featured in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this one - I cannot WAIT for the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so have to read Cinder because it sounds soo unique :) !! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one. I agree. The scifi Cinderella works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People have really said they couldn't see Cinderella?! Part of the fun was picking out all the classic bits! But still, yes, completely agree with this review - I just read Cinder a week or 2 ago and it's STILL with me today because it was so awesome. I kind of want to hang out with Iko.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way after reading Cinder: "how am I supposed to coherently explain how awesome this book is!?" Haha. I completely agree. LOVED IT. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad to see the hype for this one probably somewhat affected your view of it in the end. Glad you still really liked it though! The next book is going to be told from Scarlet's pov, but I know Kai will be in it and that Cinder's story is far from over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely agreed. This book was so good I finished it in one day! I really hope the story continue to stay focus on Cinder. And I cannot wait for the sequel, which a lil disappointment, that it won't be out until next year. Cross my fingers, hope it changes to this year.

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]