May 7, 2012

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins {Review}


Publisher: Hyperion Books CH
Publish Date: March 22, 2011
Source: Library
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and faeries). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.
Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world -- the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers  that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous process that will destroy her powers.
But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. He new friends? They're demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


Holy. Cow.
You guys, Rachel Hawkins knows how to write a book.

I honestly don’t know how everyone was able to wait for Spell Bound after that one. I’m extremely glad I only have to wait until it comes in at the library for me!

I don’t want to get into the story itself too much so I don’t spoil you for Hex Hall, but I can still talk about the characters. Sophie is back and just as sarcastic as I ever which I loved. I love that her sarcasm doesn’t make her seem cynical. Not that I can’t appreciate a cynical character, it’s just a nice change.
Cal was so sweet and caring it was impossible not to feel sorry for him (more on that later).
Archer. Yeah. This guy is awesome. He’s sarcastic and snarky and yet still so sweet. He’s just so…*sigh* <3

So, there’s a love triangle. Now, I’m not a love triangle hater. Not at all. I’m not all “Woooh! Bring on the love triangles!” but they don’t make me want to poke eyeballs out either. I just roll with it when they come along. This love triangle felt pretty real to me, though. I mean Cal and Sophie have a big thing between them (no spoils) that can’t be denied but her and Archer actually shared a kiss. Plus, Sophie wasn’t all “Oh, Cal! Oh, Archer! How will I ever choose?!” which I can really respect.

I loved being able to see Sophie come into her powers more and learn about her history.

This story has some serious flow going for it. I never felt like things were being pushed and prodded to fit the needs of the story which was really nice. And even though I kind of figured the ending out (a small part of it), it didn’t feel like I was robbed of my enjoyment of the story. It still worked.

The Nutshell: Demonglass is one solid sequel. If you’ve read and liked Hex Hall then you definitely need to get your hands on Demonglass and if you haven’t read HH then what are you waiting for? This is a paranormal that stands above the rest. Or, at least with very select few above the rest. If you like snarky characters (both boys and girls), magic, and a dash of mystery, this is definitely a series you need to read.

Pages: 368
Series: Hex Hall #2
Rating: Direct Hit

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read this book! The only problem is, I read Hex Hall a while ago, and I forgot A LOT. So I may have to reread it before starting Demonglass.
    Anyway, great review! Makes me want to start reading it immediately. :)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?! Waiting for Spell Bound after this one KILLED me. I'm so glad you loved it, and can't wait to see what you think about the rest of the series. I'm one of those who tends to groan over love traingles, but this one was well done, and wasn't quite so painful or annoying as most. I really liked both Cal and Archer (Cal better tbqh), and Sophie is one of my fav girls ever.

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]