May 31, 2012

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard {Review}


Publisher: Razorbill
Publish Date: July 21, 2011
Source: Library
Goodreads
Lexi is cursed with a dark secret. The water calls to her, draws her in, forces her to sing her song to unsuspecting victims. If she succumbs, she kills. If she doesn't, the pain is unbearable. To keep herself and those she cares about safe, she shuts herself off, refusing to make friends or fall in love -- again. Because the last time she fell in love with a boy, he ended up dead.
Then Lexi finds herself torn. Against her better judgement, she's opening up again, falling in love with someone new when she knows she shouldn't. But when she's offered the chance to finally live a normal life, she learns that the price she must pay to be free of her curse is giving him up.


For about 2/3 of Ripple, I really didn’t think I was going to like it. It still wasn’t my favorite read, but Miss Hubbard managed to take just about everything I felt for this book and flip it all upside down within that last third and I ended up fairly satisfied.

Something about Lexi’s sob story of a life kind of set my teeth on edge at the beginning. No parents, no friends, no love. Just a lonely girl wanting companionship but pushing everyone away. I sort of understand why she pushed people away, but on the other hand it doesn’t really make sense. Yes, she was afraid of killing people, but it’s not like she’d go around killing people all the time if she was civil. That didn’t quite make sense to me.

Lexi and Cole’s relationship just felt so weird and unnecessary at the beginning. I didn’t like him or them together at all. By the end, though, the relationship really grew on me and I was inwardly rooting for the two.

I really liked Hubbard’s take on sirens. It definitely wasn’t your typical mythology and I love when a story can surprise me. Who knew mermaid’s could still be entertaining if they didn’t have tails ;P

The Nutshell: I really wasn’t feeling Ripple for the majority of the book, but I’m really glad I finished it. If you tend to give up on books easily, you’re either going to want to completely avoid this one or convince yourself to stick it out till the end. If you like a twist on your mermaid mythology with a dash of “I DID NOT see that coming!” then Ripple is worth the read.

Pages: 260
Series: No
Rating: Near Miss

1 comment:

  1. This is the first review I've seen for this book on any of the blogs I read. I have a feeling I would give up, what with all the other books I have to read and all. Good to know I can just take it off my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]