May 10, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi {Review}


Publisher: HarperCollins
Publish Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Library
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, aznd she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland -- known as The Death Shop -- are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider names Perry. He's wild -- a savage -- and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile -- everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


Under the Never Sky was so much more than I expected. I went into it with somewhat low expectations because of all the not-so-stellar reviews I’ve come across, but I needn’t have worried about those.

When it comes to dystopian, I’m usually most attracted to shiny futuristic technology and while that does take a part in Under the Never Sky the majority of the story occurs out in the wilderness and I was surprised by how much this didn’t bother me at all. I actually found it new and interesting to be reading about something so different than the usual.
Also, while there are terrible beasts and animals that need to be worried about, Perry and Aria’s journey wasn’t ALL about worrying about them. They were also worried about food and the storms and shelter and getting to their destination on time.

And then there’s Aria. At first she doesn’t know what to do with herself and is basically just waiting around for death to overcome her, BUT THEN. But then she turns into this super awesome butt-kicking person and it’s pretty much awesome squared.
Oh yes, and I can’t forget to mention Perry. He’s got the tough-on-the-outside-mushy-gushy-heart-in-the-middle thing going for him. His mushy gushy heart doesn’t make too many appearances, but when it does, be prepared for the swoon.

One random thing: I kept picturing Perry with black hair instead of blond. I think that might be because most dystopian dudes have black hair :P

And guys, there’s kissing. And it’s a slow burn, so there’s that ;]

The Nutshell: Under the Never Sky will surprise you by breaking out of the dystopian norm and the end result is one fantastic story. All the intricacies from the Aether to the beasts in the wild had me wondering what would come at me next. If you like dystopian, slow burn romance, unknowing-girl turned-bad-a**, and swoon-worthy guys then this is definitely the book for you.

Pages: 374
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Rating: Direct Hit

4 comments:

  1. I really, really liked this book too. I will say there were parts that I felt needed a bit more explaining. Like...what does the aether do? I'm hoping there are even more details that come out in the following books, but I really liked it! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aether, yes! Questions about what it was exactly were always in the back of my mind.Hopefully we find out a little more in book 2

      Delete
  2. I love this book. At first I didn't really like Aria, but as the book went on and she became strong and tough and awesome, I started to adore her. And Perry. I mean, it's impossible not to love him. I love the alternating points of view in this book and the weird dystopian/science fiction world. I am so excited for the sequel!
    And dude. I kept picturing Perry with black hair, too. Dystopian guys are never blond! :D
    (Also I maybe have a little bit of a crush on Roar.)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I did have some problems with the world building in this book, but I loved both Perry and Aria so much that I let it slide and thoroughly enjoyed it regardless. I can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

I adore all the comments you write. They totally make my day :]